Research degrees (MPhil & PhD)
The group has a wide range of interests in the area of Microwave and Communications systems. You are advised to view the web profile of the individual group members and contact them directly.
Possible PhD topics
The MACS group welcomes application from prospective Ph.D. students in any of our areas of interest. Broad areas that we are into include:
- Wired and Wireless Communication Systems: ultra-wide band; channel modelling; positioning systems; multiple-input multiple-output systems; multi-user detection
- Ad hoc & Wireless sensor Networks: Interference analysis and mitigation techniques, routing and scheduling algorithms, sensor networks for industrial processes
- Radar, RF and Antenna Propagation: space-time adaptive filtering; bi-static operation; hot clutter rejection; classification systems; data fusion, FDTF Complex Systems Modeling, Dielectric Resonator Antenna
- MMICs and Microwave Subsystems: RF filter design, Passive Components, Ultra-Low Noise Amplifiers and Receivers
- Microwave Material Measurements & Sensors: Microwave Sensors design and optimisation for complex permittivity measurements, profiling, mine detection and tomography.
The nature of most of the Ph.D. work involves either or a combination of theoretical algorithm development and analysis, simulation using MatLab and C, and hardware development and testing. Further information and details about the degree and how to apply can be found here.
For a selected list of some of the currently ongoing research projects click at: