Wind farm sites that are within the radar line of site of safety critical radar systems may degrade the radars ability to accurately detect and track targets of interest near or within the wind farm area. The University of Manchester is the only UK university that is devoted to studying, modelling and finding feasible mitigation measures to overcome the interaction of wind farms with radars. With many years of experience and active collaborations with global industrial and academic institutes, the University of Manchester is recognised as a world leader in this field of research.
Researches in this area include:
- nearfield and farfield turbine radar cross-section (RCS) and Doppler signature.
- radar propagation within the wind farm area and the effects of multiple reflections and inter-turbine interactions.
- impact modelling on aviation radars.
- interaction with shore and offshore based asset management radars.
- marine navigation radars.
- high range/Doppler resolution radars.
- target detection and tracking .