Mobile menu icon
Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Mobile menu icon Search iconSearch
Search type

Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Student sat at desk, smiling at camera

International students

Manchester is a diverse, multicultural city, and the University takes great pride in welcoming students from across the world.

Nainika Sahye

Being the first one in my family to get into higher education, my parents had a lot of concerns when I decided to use my State scholarship offered by the Mauritian Government to go abroad for uni, however we have genuinely been very pleasantly surprised by the support I have received from the Electrical, Electronic and Mechatronic Engineering department.

Nainika Sahye / Mechatronic Engineering international student

Switch on your career in electrical, electronic and mechatronic engineering at The University of Manchester, a university with a prestigious engineering history - and a bright focus on the future. We are home to one of the largest departments dedicated to the subject in the UK, have fantastic links with industry, and have taught the discipline here since 1905.

There are plenty of funding options available to international students, regardless of your level of programme. Provided you can meet our English language and visa requirements, you could be the next to study at our prestigious Department.

If you're coming to Manchester to study from overseas, there are a few things to consider before you apply.

Find out more about the University’s funding options, language information and Manchester in general, below.

English language requirements

Applicants for all undergraduate degree programmes require an approved English language qualification. For September 2024 entry, approved English language qualifications include:

  • Academic IELTS with 7.0 overall, including 7.0 in Writing and no other sub-test below 6.5.
  • A Level English Language, grade C.
  • AS Level English or English Language and Literature, grade B.
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE), 185 overall, with a minimum of 185 in Writing, and 176 in all other sub-tests.
  • Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE), 185 overall, with a minimum of 185 in Writing, and 176 in all other sub-tests.
  • GCE O-Level English Language, grade B.
  • GCSE English Language, grade B/6.
  • IGCSE English Language (1st or 2nd Language) grade B/6, with grade 2 in oral exam where specified.
  • TOEFL - Internet Based Test (iBT) with an overall score of 100 including 25 in Writing, and no other sub-test below 22 - we do not accept 'my best score' and applicants must achieve the TOEFL requirements in one sitting. Please note we do not accept TOEFL iBT Home Edition for 2024 entry.
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with 76 or above overall, including 76 in Writing and 70 in all other sub-tests.
  • LanguageCert International ESOL C1 (SELT version) with an overall score of 100 (Pass) including 33 (High Pass) in all components (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)

English language test validity: Some English Language test results are only valid for two years. Your English Language test report must be valid on the start date of the course. There are alternative acceptable English language qualifications. Please contact for further guidance.

Fees, funding and scholarships

There are a range of funding options open to international students, depending on the nature of your programme.

Explore our fees and funding pages to discover more about these.

Foundation programmes

Would you like to study electrical and electronic engineering at Manchester but don't have the right entry qualifications? A Foundation Year course could be the solution for you.

The Integrated Foundation Year is 'year zero' of a four or five year course that leads to a degree from one of the schools of science or engineering at The University of Manchester.

Additionally, you can find out more about foundation courses for international students on the main University website.

Visa requirements

To study at The University of Manchester, international students require a student visa.

Please read the University’s guidance on visas before you start working on your application.