Mobile menu icon
Mobile menu icon Search iconSearch
Search type

School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Front view of Sackville Street Building's main entrance

History and heritage

Since Professor A. Schwartz was appointed as the Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering in 1905, electrical engineering study at Manchester has produced a series of firsts.

After the Second World War, a number of newer subjects including power systems, high voltage engineering and electronic engineering entered the curriculum.

In June 1948, the world's first stored-program computer, the Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine (SSEM), nicknamed Baby, was designed and built by Frederic C. Williams and Tom Kilburn in the School.

Research activity grew rapidly in the 1960s with an increase in the number of academic staff along with newly introduced taught master’s degree courses. Such research continues today, led by over 70 academic staff members in the School.

Our history in pictures