The Microelectronics and Nanostructures (M&N) Group is one of six research groups within the School of Electrical Engineering and Electronics. Our research covers Materials Growth and Synthesis, Nano Electronic and Photonic Devices, Advanced Spectroscopy and Imaging, Modelling and Novel Architectures. We have close links to other groups within the School (Microwave Engineering, Communication Engineering and Industrial Process Tomography) as well as collaboration with other departments within the University of Manchester (Physics, Materials, Instrumentation and Analytical Science and the Photon Science Institute).
Beyond the University of Manchester we have strong links to many other UK and overseas university research groups as well as with the semiconductor device and communications industries. Research students working in M&N are invariably involved with one or more of these collaborations. There are eleven academic staff within M&N and you are welcome to contact any of them to seek more information about projects.
- Professor Bruce Hamilton Head of Group (Condensed Matter Physics)
- Professor Mohamed Missous (High Speed devices; Molecular Beam Epitaxy)
- Professor Aimin Song (Nanometre-scale and/or semiconductor quantum devices)
- Professor Tony Peaker (Defects and impurities in Semiconductors, Si Materials)
- Dr Subhasish Chakraborty (Band-Engineered Nanoscale and Terahertz Photonic Devices)
- Dr Piotr Dudek (VLSI Circuits and Systems, Chip Design)
- Dr Huda El Mubarek (Dopant Diffusion, Fluorine, Silicon, Silicon Geranium, HBTS)
- Dr Matthew Halsall (Condensed Matter Physics)
- Dr John Hatfield (Sensors)
- Dr Leszek Majewski (Flexible Electronics)
- Dr Max Migliorato (Atomistic Modelling of Nanostructures)