We prefer applications to be made online as this enables us to respond to you as quickly as possible.
If this is not possible for you then we can send a printed application form. To request a printed application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that you include all the information that is requested on the application form including transcripts of your qualifications and two references. Where possible these should be included with your online application by uploading the documents electronically.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding an application to the University of Manchester, guidance notes and further information including details on open days and ordering a postgraduate prospectus can be found on How to apply University pages.
When completing an online application form please attach the following.
- Copies (not originals) of degree certificates and official academic transcripts of previous study. If these are in a language other than English, please provide an official translation.
- Copies (not originals) of any English language certification, eg. IELTS or TOEFL (if applicable).
- Two referee report forms and accompanying letters of reference (these should be people who have knowledge of your academic ability).
- Research proposal. When you are applying to do a research degree, we require a research title and proposal to enable us to circulate your application to our academics. The research proposal should include a brief description of what you would like to study and can be as broad or as specific as you like. We suggest you consider the following questions:
- Justification for the proposed research (why is it important to do this?)
- Objectives of the research (what do you hope to find out by doing it?)
- Methodology (how do you intend to go about doing the research project?)
- Literature review (a first indication of the kind of books that you will need to read and review as part of the research.
We accept applications for postgraduate research study throughout the year and you may apply up to a year before your intended start date. Our start dates are January, April, July and September.
For overseas students we advise you apply at least three months before you intend to start your studies in the UK in order to allow enough time to process your application and apply for a visa.
Once your application has been assessed by the School you should expect to receive a response after a minimum of three weeks, although in some cases it will be sooner.
We will be able to handle your application much more quickly if you ensure that you have included all the supporting documents and up to date contact details.