Our Department is committed to promoting equality and diversity in our working practices - that’s why we’re proud of the work of our Equality and Diversity Committee.
We need to inspire women and make sure they have access to all the amazing opportunities that are emerging in the UK’s scientific, technology and engineering fields.Professor Danielle George / Professor of Radio Frequency Engineering
The University of Manchester launched its 2020 Vision Statement in May 2011 which includes the aim “to position the University as an exemplary employer and a destination of preference for all staff, both nationally and internationally, to enable it to become one of the leading universities in the world by 2020”.
This aim is supported by our Department strategic plans which are reviewed annually in consultation with all staff, and our responsible processes will help us to achieve this.
Learn more about the work that our Department is doing below:
Equality and Diversity Committee
Our Equality and Diversity Committee has 13 members and is attended by the Head of Department. The Equality and Diversity Committee brings together male and female members, and staff at both junior and senior levels.
Our members bring a variety of experiences including those with caring responsibilities and those who work flexibly in the Department due to their commitments.
Our work deals with:
- our current position in relation to women’s representation and career progression within STEMM;
- how our policies, practices and procedures support women’s representation and career progression;
- whether there are areas that need to be changed.
We are currently working on the submission for Bronze renewal and on championing a range of outreach activities, including industrial talks, networking and career guidance.
Initiatives and funding opportunities
We work with the following groups:
- CIGRE UK Women’s Network.
- L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science - an international programme which recognises the achievements and contributions of exceptional females across the globe by awarding promising scientists with fellowships to help further their research.
- Soapbox Science - a novel public outreach platform for promoting women scientists and the science they do.
- Dame Kathleen Ollerenshaw Fellowship
- The Beatrice Shilling Scholarship
For more information on equality and diversity within the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, contact the head of the Department's Equality and Diversity Committee, Dr Alessandra Parisio.